FOREST PARK, GEORGIA — The Orienteering USA Executive Committee recently approved a proposal to potentially name several individuals to represent the US in this summer’s 10th MTBO World Orienteering Championships, held in Veszprem, Hungary from August 17 – 26, 2012. OUSA will name individuals to the OUSA 2012 MTBO team based on self-nomination and decisions by the OUSA 2012 MTBO Review Panel (Greg Lennon, Chair; plus Peter Goodwin & Pete Dady). They intend to potentially name qualified men and/or women to participate in the World Champs (elite; “ME” and “WE”) competition, but not in the World Junior or World Masters competitions.
The Panel recognizes that MTBO in the US is clearly at an early stage. Although MTBO events do occasionally take place in the US, no events have been nationally sanctioned, no MTBO Executive Steering Committee exists, and to date no funding has been approved in any OUSA budget for MTBO related activities. Nonetheless, there is sufficient interest to warrant, at the very least, attention by committed volunteers towards establishing such infrastructure, and to allow motivated MTB-orienteers a chance to compete on a world stage. In addition, once a team is named, a modest fundraising effort will be conducted to help defray a portion of the competition- related expenses.
Therefore, please consider applying to be named to the OUSA Elite MTBO team based on being at least 21 years of age and being a US citizen (with a passport), and meeting one or more of the following criteria:
- Participation at an advanced level in MTBO events; please submit event, map & course details and a full listing of all competitors results for each event;
- Participation in and results from other bike related competitions and rankings, including but not limited to mountain bike (trail) races, cyclocross, adventure races including biking, and USA Cycling sanctioned races including MTB cross-country and Super D; USA Cycling license holders should indicate their racing categories;
- Membership and participation in bike-affiliated organizations such as USA Cycling, IMBA, and regional clubs and organizations;
- Familiarity with the IOF MTB Orienteering Competition rules 2010, and the International Specification for MTB Orienteering Maps 2010;
- Access to, via ownership or loan, a competition- quality 26 or 29 inch front or full suspension mountain bike, suitably equipped for the World Championships as outlined in the event bulletins, including puncture protection;
- Photos and videos of particularly competitive races and rides, including headcam videos;
- A level of physical fitness commensurate with elite performance;
- An outline of a training plan for the period between May 15 – August 15 should you be named to the OUSA MTBO Team;
- Ability to attend either the training camp in June or August (see the race bulletin for details);
- If known at this time, an indication of which races (Sprint, Middle, Long, Relay) are of highest interest for you to compete in;
- Sufficient independent financial support to undertake 100% of your competition, travel, equipment and related expenses.
OUSA looks forward to hearing from you! Nominations must be received by email to greg_lennon AT orienteeringusa DOT org as soon as possible; please make sure to include full contact information, including telephone number(s). Review Panel decisions will be final and there will be no appeal or grievance process. Team members will be notified and named as soon as possible; accepted individuals will need to sign an agreement with OUSA regarding several aspects of their participation in this program.
[Source: Greg Lennon, Chair, Orienteering USA 2012 MTBO Review Panel]